Thursday, August 4, 2011

Hello & Welcome

I've wanted to start a blog for some time now but always shied away from it for lack of a good name.  I wanted a name that meant something to me.  A name that was symbolic of who I am and where I came from, that would give the blog purpose.  I tried mixing my favorite words, jumbling words, making up words and to no avail nothing came, until the other day.  

When I was a little girl my father gave me a heart pendant made of blue lapis and gold.  It is the same pendant pictured above in my blog title.  It is actually much smaller in real life but when I was a small child it seemed so much bigger.  Maybe it seemed larger because my father made it seem that way.  His passion and enthusiasm about it made me feel like I was getting a rare diamond.   As I got older I remember coveting that small pendant, showing it to my closest friends and wearing it like a banner.  I liked pointing out the delicate gold flecks and how they flickered against the deep intense blue of the lapis.  It is this same passion and enthusiasm I hope to share with my readers.

My father passed away 16 years ago this past June.  Though he’s been gone for some time now I am constantly reminded how much I am a product of him.  He wasn’t perfect.  He had some demons in his life but when he shined, he shined.  From making the perfect Caesar Salad, selecting an Hermes scarf for my mother’s birthday, finding the perfect tie for himself, to pondering what new art to buy, when he found something he loved he went after it full heartedly. 

I hope you enjoy ‘heart n blue’.

No comments:

Post a Comment